The on-board diagnostics in modern vehicles are known to monitor engine systems, ABS brake operation, transmission systems, electrical system operation and evaporative emissions controls. Apart from this, people can also use various types of car diagnostic scanner available in the market to assess their vehicle on their own.
Some grades of these scan tools are as listed below:
- Basic code readers: These determine fault codes present and can clear codes.
- Do-It-Yourself type scan tools: They monitor and diagnose more complex issues.
- Professional grade diagnostic equipment: These equipment perform all types of functions that are performed by professional mechanics.
The top rated scan tools for each grade is as follows:
- Basic Code Reader
- BAFX Products 34T5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool – This is a compact unit that plugs into the car’s OBDII data port. It is compatible with Android and easily pairs with one’ phone, tablet or laptop via Bluetooth. It can then operate by an app called Torque. It can read and clear fault codes, perform pre-test for emission system, read real-time sensor data and record the vehicle’s 1/8 to 1 mile drag times directly.
- AutelMaxiScan MS300 OBDII Diagnostic Tool – It is capable of reading and clearing diagnostic trouble codes. However, it does not provide system monitoring. It powers up soon after being plugged into the vehicle’s OBDII port. It can be operated with just two buttons. Since, it plugs directly into the data link connector, not other device or app is needed.
- DIY Scan Tools
- BlueDriver Bluetooth Professional OBDII Scan Tool – The BlueDriver scan tool, being a small box, plugs into the data link connector. It connects via Bluetooth with a phone or tablet and is operated by the free BlueDriver app. It can pull up the vehicle’s VIN number, make, year and model. One of its unique features is the code report generated for each code. This report has information regarding code definition, possible causes and fixes for that particular code.
- Innova 3040c Diagnostic Tool – It is directly connected to the data link connector and retrieves the vehicle’s year, model and make with very intuitive controls.This tool reads engine codes for all vehicles manufactured post 1996 and most ABS codes as well. The software and hardware can be updated for future compatibility.
III. Professional Scan Tool
- Launch X431 V+ Diagnostic Tool – An Android based tablet that can be used as a scan tool.The 10.1 inch touch screen provides for easy and colourful viewing operation. It can scan all diagnostic trouble codes in North America, Europe and Asia. It operates smoothly and the battery lasts for up to 8 hours.
- AutelMaxiSYS MS906 WiFi Diagnostic Scanner – This is an Android based tool that can be connected through a VIC module or wired cable. One of the most versatile aftermarket scan tool that can perform key coding, read VIN number to populate year, make and model, and works with every brand that uses OBDII.
If you are looking to get yourself a vehicle scan tool, the above listed reviews should prove to be a good starting point for your endeavours.